The Institute of Sindhology is an epitome of Sindh studies including Culture, history literature, archeology, anthropology and music. All of the studies manifest and represent the Indus valley Civilization dating back to Mohen-Jo-Daro. The institute, time and again, has tried to take all such torches of knowledge one step forward crossing all its limited boundaries in order to make the masses acquainted with its civilization by holding exhibitions and festivals.
- The institute of Sindhology is the biggest institute of the University of Sindh, Jamshoro.
- It was founded in 1962 in a small room measuring 8’x8’ at the Sindh University, Old Campus, Hyderabad.
- The very first name of the institute was “Sindhi Academy”.
- Advisory Committee was organized in 1962.
- The first meeting of the Advisory Committee called on 20-12-1962.
- The name “Institute of Sindhology” was suggested by Pir Hussamuddin Rashidi Which was approved in 1964.
- The present building of the Institute underwent the construction process in 1972 to 1978 at University of Sindh Allama I.I. Campus, Jamshoro.
Aims and Objectives
The purpose behind the establishment of the institute was only to collect and preserve the artifacts that pertain only to Sindh, but later on it came to the light that the institute should do much more than that. Thus the revised aims and objectives are:
- Collect, preserve and make book and non-book material available in order to facilitate the users.
- Encourage research activities pertaining to the Indus Valley civilization.
- Project Sindh, sindhi culture, folk art, history, archeology, folk radiations and its people on national and international forums.
- Conduct studies relating to the different walks of Sindh such as socio-cultural and political history etc.
- Publish basis source material on all aspects of Sindh.
- Enhance co-operation with come such other national and international organizations.
- Promote arts and crafts of Sindh.
There are five main sections of the institute which directly work under the supervision of their heads guided by the Director.
- Research Library
- Bureau of Translation, Book Production and Publication.
- Sindh Art Gallery and Anthropological Research Centre (Museum)
- Audio-Visual Section.
- Research and Documentation cell.